As a perinatal psychiatrist, I support women and couples through conception, pregnancy, the postnatal period, and the early parenting years.
I also treat women with psychiatric issues related to their reproductive health.
I provide care that is compassionate, non-judgemental and evidence based. I also place great value on the parent/infant relationship, and as such include an awareness of this in all my work and am always happy to see you with your baby when necessary.
Below are a range of conditions that I commonly treat:
Planning a Pregnancy
Assessment and Management of pre existing mental health conditions including:
- Bipolar Affective Disorder
Pre-conception medication and mental health planning:
- Discuss the risks and benefits of treatment for you, your baby and family and how to proceed.
- Discuss the risks and benefits of ADHD medications.
- Depression/anxiety/stress related to fertility treatments.
- Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.
Pregnancy & Birth
- Assessment and management of mental health conditions during pregnancy and related to pregnancy complications/loss. These can include depression, anxiety, OCD, PTSD, Bipolar Affective Disorder, Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective disorder.
- I can work with you to make a Perinatal Mental Health Plan that outlines your difficulties, strengths, medications, relapse warning signs, issues that can arise with breastfeeding etc. This can be an easy way to communicate with your family and other treating professionals the important points of your mental health treatment.
- I have experience in the Perinatal Mental Health Space eg outpatient clinics, Mother Baby Units, liaison with maternity wards/Obstetricians and knowledge of other specialist perinatal mental health support services (eg psychologists, maternal child health nurses) and can liaise as needed.
- Assessment and Management of mental health conditions (eg Postnatal depression, postpartum psychosis, bipolar disorder) after pregnancy and related to pregnancy/birth complications, birth trauma and loss.
- Assessment and management of stress/anxiety/ambivalence with the adjustment to parenthood and all the life and relationship changes it entails.
- Assessment and Management of issues bonding with your baby.
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
- Mood/adjustment issues related to fertility treatment